As architects and specifiers continue to push design boundaries, we’re often asked about the minimum pitch for a roof tile or slate. We have seen an increase in requirements for low pitch solutions, which is being driven by ongoing demand for large commercial roofscapes alongside a surge in ground floor extensions due to relaxation of planning laws. For example, ground floor extensions often have a limited angle to the roof due to obstructions such as second floor windows, so low pitch tiles are required.
Firstly, what do we mean by ‘minimum pitch’? All tiles and slates have a minimum roof pitch which are established to protect the roof from water penetration. The minimum pitch for each of our products can be found either in the product brochure or within the products pages here on the website located within the technical tab.
To ensure design possibilities are not compromised as a result of the need to meet low pitches, manufacturers have focused on developing low pitch options across their product ranges, so that a variety of colours, textures and styles of tiles and slates are available.
There are a few tips for working on or specifying for a low pitch roof:
1. Minimum pitches for Marley Eternit tiles or slates can be found in either the product brochure or the product pages here on our website, where they’re located within the technical tab. For example, the details for our Birkdale fibre cement tile can be found here
2. It is uncommon to find a pitched roof below 15°, but for those that are, there are a number of tile options available including the Melodie interlocking clay pantile
, which has one of the lowest pitches in the industry at 12.5°
3. It is worth considering the fittings and accessories used with low pitch tiles – our low pitch options come complete with matching fittings and accessories
for ease of installation and additional protection
We offer low pitch options across our clay, concrete and fibre cement ranges including:
- Melodie interlocking clay pantile - 12.5° pitch
& Mendip concrete tiles - 15° pitch
& Thrutone fibre cement slates - 15° pitch
* Restrictions on rafter length may apply
Our Product Selector tool can also help find the most suitable tile or slate required.
If you have any questions about low pitch roofs, and whether there is a tile or slate to meet your needs, please contact us on 01283 722588 or ask us on Twitter @MarleyEternit